Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My history professor and I take the same bus. Watch as we eye one another dubiously from across the seats, he because I keep speaking up in class and know what "iconoclast" means, I because he says the words Founding Fathers with little fingerticky-quotey-gestures.

Like this:
"Founding Fathers". Fingerticky, fingerticky, sarcasm abounds. 

I am unsure about this sort of behavior. Also, can I really trust someone who calls himself iconoclastic? Seems rather...I don't know. 

Furthermore, I hate the way he writes notes. An example:

1619:
Population of Va. increases, including 24 African indentured servants.
Disease, violence (Indian Wars) get rich quick, death.

In that order? You get a disease, you get violent in the Indian wars, you get rich quick and then you die? He misspells things, too, which puts me in the awkward position of having a pedant on one shoulder screaming FIX IT FIX THE SPELLING FIX ALL THE SPELLING THERE IS AN ELL WHERE NO ELL SHOULD BEEEEEE and a devil on the other shoulder screaming the exact same thing.

I do not handle spelling errors well. Getting up in the middle of class, marching to the front of the room, snatching the marker out of his hand, fixing his spelling and grading him would be in terribly bad form, though.


I know what you're saying. You're saying, oh Susie, it's only the second day of class, don't you think you're judging rather too harshly and with a rapidity that causes one's head to whirl? To you I reply, perhaps, but entrepenure is still not how the word goes and, in fact, sounds mildly dirty spelled his way. 


Yes, actually I do miss last semesters' classes, why do you ask?


ETA: Grudgingly, I will admit that at least the guy knows what he's talking about.
Very grudgingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment